Learn all about Bay Area train travel on our weekday educational trains!
Niles Canyon Railway offers educational train rides to schools, recreation groups, senior centers, families, and anyone who wants to ride during the week. Our docents explain the importance our line played in the development of the Bay Area and the West—from the first trains to present day—as well as railroad safety.
Trains board at Niles and Sunol on selected dates throughout the year.
All passengers age 3 and above are $7.00.
- Reservations can be made online, and you will get your confirmation/invoice by email.
- Advance payment is requested 30 days prior to your ride, unless prior arrangements have been made.
- Please arrive at your boarding location at least 20-30 minutes before your departure time.
- Boarding passes will be in will call at the ticket window.
- There are no refunds.
- You may arrange for payment on the day of the event with the understanding that payment for all reservations is guaranteed.
Educational Rewards Program
We request that teachers visit Operation Lifesaver, a railroad safety program sponsored by the railroads. There are coloring pages for young students and word puzzles for older students.On the day of the ride, teachers inform us as to how many students completed a one page activity. We will provide you with a free child trip pass for a regular weekend train operation for these students.We recommend that you staple the pass to their completed page and return to the students.
During the trip you may walk from car to car, but no running. Children need to be supervised during the ride.