Train – Different configurations available
For those truly special occasions, charter the whole train!
Enjoy the scenic Niles Canyon from open and covered viewing cars and a fully-enclosed coach pulled by a classic locomotive. Bring your own food and beverages on board, or enjoy a public picnic area near the station. Our friendly and helpful train crew will do everything possible to see that you and your guests experience train travel from a bygone era.
The Niles Canyon Railway is operated by volunteers so our ability to run train charters is directly related to the availability of qualified train crews to staff the charter trains.
Mid-week evenings and selected mid-week afternoon departures have the best availability for charters that can provide a unique setting for off-site business or smaller group meetings.
Train charters are not available October to January. Our dedicated volunteers and historic equipment have limitations. All of our efforts are needed to prepare and staff the annual holiday fund-raising event, Train of Lights.
- Operated when equipment and crews are available.
- No charters before 5:00 PM on Saturdays.
- Charters not available on regular scheduled Sunday operating days.
- All charters are for two hours and consist of a 2 hour round trip train ride departing from either Fremont/Niles Station or Sunol Depot.
The Niles Canyon Railway can offer a variety of historical railway cars for charters. Please see description of equipment below.
- Mechanical lifts are available at stations to provide wheelchair access to the train.
- Additional cars with a capacity of 50 riders each may be added (for an extra fee) to reach a maximum capacity of 250 passengers per train.
- For special services or more passengers, contact us.
- Up to 100 people = $3000
- 100 – 250 people = $3500
- Steam Powered Charter (When available) $4500
The Niles Canyon Railway does partner with Casa Bella Event Center to offer chartered train rides as part of their event hosting offerings. Please visit their website to learn more.