Learn all about Bay Area train travel on our weekday educational trains!
The Niles Canyon Railway offers Spring and Summer education trains each year. The Pacific Locomotive Association, Inc. operates the Niles Canyon Railway as a living history museum interpreting the importance of our heritage railroads in the development of California and the nation. During the ride you will hear a docent talk about the history of railroads in Niles Canyon and the surrounding areas along with our connection with the First Transcontinental Railroad.
Our Education Trains are open to schools, recreation groups, senior centers, daycare facilities, families, and anyone who wants to ride during the week.
Trains may board at Niles or Sunol on selected dates throughout the year.
Minimum of 75 passengers total from all tickets sales are required for the train to run or all tickets will be refunded.
All passengers age 3 and above are $8.00.
- You may purchase your tickets online via the links below choosing the station you wish to depart from. Different stations are used on different dates so if the dates for one station do not fit your schedule, please consider looking at the other station for different rides days.
- If you are a school or large group and need to pay by check or other payment form, you can send us an email to make your group reservation and get your payment information.
- For questions, large group reservations or payment information, please email email@example.com
- Advance payment is requested 30 days prior to your ride unless prior arrangements have been made.
- You may arrange for payment on the day of the event with the understanding that payment for all reservations is guaranteed.
- Please arrive at your boarding location at least 30 minutes before your departure time.
- Departure times may be 10AM or 12PM or both depending on the day chosen. You will choose your time if available when you purchase your tickets. Click on the Get tickets buttons and choose a date to see what is available for departures. Some may be sold out already also.
- Your tickets will be in will call at the ticket window.
- There are no refunds.
Educational Rewards Program
We request that teachers visit Operation Lifesaver, a railroad safety program sponsored by the railroads. There are coloring pages for young students and word puzzles for older students.On the day of the ride, teachers inform us as to how many students completed a one page activity. We will provide you with a free child trip pass for a regular weekend train operation for these students. We recommend that you staple the pass to their completed page and return to the students.
During the trip you may walk from car to car, but no running. Children need to be supervised during the ride.