|Builder||Baldwin Locomotive Works|
|Type||4-6-2 (SP Class P-10)|
|Cylinders||25 in x 30in|
|Boiler Pressure||210 PSI|
|Gross Weight||521,900 lb.|
|Tractive Effort||45,850 lbs.|
- Built as in 1923 as SP P-10 class Pacific.
- February 1937 – Heavily damaged in wreck outside of Selma, CA. Pictures at this link.
- Rebuilt after the wreck and returned to service.
- Rebuilt again at Southern Pacific Railroad’s Bayshore shops on August 2, 1941; increasing its boiler pressure to 210 psi and its tractive effort to 45,850 lb (20,800 kg)
- Retired July 19, 1956
- Donated to and put on display at the Santa Clara County Fairgrounds on September 6, 1958.
- Maintained and restored by the Santa Clara Valley Railroad Association which was joined with the California Trolley and Railroad Corporation in 1994.
- Joined the collection of the Pacific Locomotive Association and moved to its Niles Canyon Railway on 8/23/2022.
The Pacific Locomotive Association and its Niles Canyon Railway are pleased to have added Southern Pacific P-10 Pacific #2479 to its collection in August 2022. The locomotive has called the Santa Clara County Fairgrounds home since 1958 and has been cared for and restored through the dedication of members of the California Trolley and Railroad Corporation. In 2021, it was determined the property where the locomotive had been at the fairgrounds was needed for new things so the #2479 was given to the Niles Canyon Railway (Blog post detailing the transfer) and was moved via crane/truck in August of 2022. Funding for the 2479’s relocation was provided by the Santa Clara County Board of Supervisors.
The locomotive is in good shape overall due to a lot of hard work over the years by the CTRC volunteers, however, it does need some additional work to run. This work will be undertaken over the next five+ years along with the continued restoration of SP #1744 and the maintenance of the current running steam engines in hopes of returning the #2479 to active service on the Niles Canyon Railway.
The Niles Canyon Railway Steam Department always welcomes new volunteers. They typically volunteer on Saturdays. All of the details can be found on our Volunteer page on our website.
We gladly accept donations by mail. Please make checks payable to Pacific Locomotive Association and note SP #2479 in the Memo area. Please mail your donation to: Pacific Locomotive Association, SP#2479, P.O. Box 515, Sunol, CA 94586-0515
In service image used at the top of the page provided courtesy of Al Schwoerer. #2479 departing San Jose on Train 149.